Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday - The Labyrinth

The Labyrinth is my all-time favorite movie.

As Small Town Joy would put it - Don't hate.

I watched this movie every time I went to my grandmother's house when I was growing up.  I don't know how or why this pattern started but I'm confident I watched that movie 90% of the time.  The other 10% we watched something chosen by another cousin like Howard the Duck.  Strange choices thinking back. I don't think there was a single Disney movie for us to choose from.  Hmmm...

For this reason I have fond memories of this movie.  I can't watch it without singing every song and reciting most of the lines.  I realized recently that doing so probably makes the experience that much less-enjoyable for those around mie who've I've conned into sitting still to "enjoy" the movie with mie so I'm trying not to recite EVERY line but I found it's compulsive.

Last night our kiddos had an overnight visit, the last before reunification scheduled tomorrow, so I wanted to take the time to reconnect with Logan.  My my mom is in town and he really wanted to watch a movie as a family (minus Summer who had fallen asleep in the car on the way home from dinner).  I suggested The Wizard of Oz, knowing it is my mom's favorite and though I think he's seen it at school I've never watched it with Logan and had been thinking about it earlier in the week.  I knew I didn't have that movie so I then suggested the Labyrinth.  Logan jumped all over it and mom (a.k.a. Grandma Mom - that's what the kids call her) shocked mie by throwing out that she'd never seen the movie.


Say what?

With as many times as I had seen it at her mom's house I would have thought she would have at least seen SOME of it.  Turns out I was wrong and she'd never seen a bit of it.  I'm sure she took the time that I was glued to the tv to do more adult socializing or just sitting kid-free for a bit.  Can't blame her.

So last night we sat down and watched the movie.  I tried desperately to not recite the words.  I failed.  I didn't try to stop singing the songs because, well, that's what you do with a musically-oriented film right?  I only worked through half the movie (despite my dirty house) - I promised #9 I'd make her some bows from Dora ribbon she picked out at the store the other night.  Logan wanted to help mie at some point so I let him help mie make one for #9 and then one for Summer because he insisted she needed a new one too.  He only got burned by the hot glue gun once (!) and it was so small it didn't even leave a mark.  (Just so you know, I always wait until the little kids go to bed before doing things with the hot glue gun or the iron so there are no accidental injuries).

We had fun.

Promises were fulfilled.

My mom has now seen the Labyrinth - I'm sure that was on her bucket list, complete with the little extra tidbits I've picked up on over the years like the "hidden" foul language.  Good times.

I now know my mom enjoys David Bowie music (but not makeup).

The laundry is folded and still sitting on the coffee table.

Some dishes are done but more are still in the sink.

I'm thankful for the memories I have with this movie and for the ability to share new ones with my family.

1 comment:

Joy Kinard said...

Oh that is SOOOOO my favorite childhood movie. My brothers and I knew every single word. It is hilarious to watch it now. Good times.