Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Working Mama Wednesday - Current Projects

I've been thinking this past week about all the things I do.  Have you seen the movie previews for "I don't know how she does it"? - I barely saw the title on a commercial and, though I don't know anything else about the movie, I get people who ask me that all the time.  Or they just tell me that - "I don't know how you do it".  So at some point I'm interested in looking into the movie, though the first thing I pulled up on google called it the 3rd Sex in the City movie, and I'm not interested in that.

In any case, I'm keenly aware that I'm not the only person out there that has a lot on their plate.  Also, as I've been thinking about it I've thought about how "Working Mama Wednesday" is kind of funny - all mom's work.  So - if you're a mama - here's to you!  I'm sure you can come up with your own list!

Here are the "normal" day-to-day things I work on:
  • Cleaning the house (4200 sq. ft = lots to clean)
  • Cooking/Dishes
  • Laundry (9 loads + each week)
  • Raising 4 kids
  • Balancing visits, caseworkers, therapists, court, and other "system" stuff
  • 2 dogs & a turtle
  • Trying to be a good wife to my husband/being married
  • Maintaining & building family/friend relationships
  • 45-50 hr workweek + 10 hr-ish commute
  • church, small group, and other service opportunities + building my relationship with God, etc.
  • This blog.
Here are the current "extra" projects I have going on currently:
  • Training for a marathon relay team (right now it's 2 miles 3x/wk but will build to 5 miles + 3 days other types of training, 30 minutes each)
  • Painting & decorating 3 rooms (kitchen & 2 kids rooms) - remember this post?  Paint was on sale the week before labor day.
  • Planting some foliage in the backyard to cover areas grass died before it becomes mud season
  • Cleaning out the front flower beds, planting fall/winter foliage, and remulching
  • Teaching the kids how to play Wii  (forgot how much fun this was!)
  • Prepping for my son's birthday party
  • Prepping for #4's party and figuring out if we will have #8 on her birthday.
  • Trying to get the state to set a date for #4's adoption so family can schedule trips if they can
  • Finding new medicaid drs since our regular one is in a contract dispute...
  • Fixing insurance on our rental home - just now switching it to a rental home (dwelling) policy
  • Cleaning out closets and toy chests, sending old/too small/out of season stuff back to the parents of #7 & #8 in prep for them to go home.
  • Trying to rid the world our home of ringworm.
Things I still have slated to do soon:
  • Prep for doctoral competency exams (eek...have to schedule that!)
  • Finishup doctoral dissertation proposal (gotta get on that...)
  • Clean the carpets
  • Finish up my foster-care scrapbook
  • Buy cold weather uniforms for Logie
  • Paint the laundry room (after paint goes on sale again)
  • Get a haircut
  • Schedule family pictures (we usually do around birthday time)
  • Get on top of the family budget
  • Clean out the office closet/craft room
  • Schedule dermatologist & allergist appointments for myself, Logie, and Little Miss (#4)
  • Get back into batch cooking (wow...was it really January when I wrote that post...eek)
  • Find a rodeo to take my kids to
  • clean out the fridge & pantry
I think that's a good enough list for now.  That'll keep me busy for a few weeks.  I'm sure of it.

So what are you working on?

2 comments:

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

You can do it! You can do it!

Mama P said...

I can't even tell the different stuff on my plate apart to make a list. It is NOT a good situation for ADD. Im sitting here playing games on my iPad because I can't even focus on what to start with...at 1am in the morning, LOL.

Hang in there, Mama! The fact that you have it organized into a list is a good sign!