Monday, March 05, 2012

Tag, Mie's It...

Hey, look at Mie!  MamaP tagged mie (first I might add, because that's important you know...) to play this fun game.  Here goes...

There are some rules:
1. Post these rules
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions set for you in the post you were tagged in
4. Create 11 new questions for your tagees to answer
5. Tag them on Twitter, Facebook or your blog


11 Random Things about Mie:
  1. My name is Marie.  How do YOU pronounce that?  Yes, my given name is the normal name - Marie.  That being said, when I started 7th grade I changed it.  I started a new school and no one knew mie.  I wanted to correct the teacher.  So surely the logical conclusion was to change my name.  No one mispronounces Marie - so when my teacher called my name to ask if I was present, I corrected (him I believe) and said "It's Mah-ri"...kind of like Bill Maher, with an "E" at the end.  So, like Mar (spanish for sea) EE.  Or Mahree.  Get it?  Rhymes with Sorry.  Ha!  Finally figured out how to "say it" on a blog.  Anyway - I went by that name for 3 years until I started a new high school where once again no one knew mie.  I went back to regular old Marie then, but I will answer to either one.  And of course Auntie Mie.
  2. I am watching Horton Hears a Who right this moment.
  3. I once broke my pinky finger swimming.  In my defense I swam at an olympic training facility in LA and the divers moved the backstroke flags - while I was swimming.  I jammed my pinky into the wall and managed to break it.
  4. I also broke my big toe once when I dropped a CD on it.  Not the whole jewel case and all - just the CD.
  5. I was once hit by a boat.  The point of the bow rammed right into my calf and I now have a permanent dent in my calf that looks like I'm really buff.  It hurt really bad.  I was 15.
  6. Prior to the boat incident I swam backstroke, usually without breaking my finger (see #3).  After the boat incident I could no longer win swimming backstroke.  Lucky mie I managed to learn that I was a great butterfly swimmer and so I finished out my high school swimming career swimming the 100 butterfly.  And sprint freestyle.
  7. I absolutely despise putting away the dishes from the dishwasher.  It is definitely the chore I hate most.  I'd rather clean toilets than put away dishes.
  8. I was born blonde, like super blonde.  My mom is blonde.  I thought I was going to be blonde like her, though my hair became more "dirty blonde" as I got older.  My hair didn't turn brown until I had my son.  I instantaneously developed a lot of gray too - I was 25.  I'm now about 20-25% gray.  When I fill out forms I still will write blonde - I think of myself as blonde - it's hard to believe I'm actually brunette.
  9. I'm 30.  And 25% gray.  Doesn't that suck?
  10. My blue eyes run very strong in my dad's family.  It's like a trademark.  Over the summer we counted how many of my VERY large family did not get the blue eyes - out of the 60ish people we counted there were only abaout 6 who did not get the blue eyes.  My son is one of them.  Oddly enough almost all of my foster children have had very strikingly blue eyes.  Summer has them - I tell that story to everyone who comments on my kids' blue eyes.
  11. When we play Rockband on the Wii, I most often play the drums.  Occassionally I play the bass.  In real life I can sing.
How's that?  I'd love to hear your comments on my random things.

MamaP's 11 Questions for Mie:

Ok MamaP - these are hard questions!

1. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you? Hmmm - I would probably let my kids sleep in my bed with mie every night.  That's not so bad right?
2. Paper bags, or plastic? Plastic.  We keep them all in a container in our pantry and we use them to wrap up poopy diapers.  We have a lot of poopy diapers in our house.  I'm running low right now.
3. When was the last time you tried something new and what was it? Thursday I tried a new routine with my kiddos.  My son had been whining suggesting that he get dressed first before the other kids (presumably so he could then cuddle in a blanket on the couch while I get the others ready).  BUT, he eats breakfast while I get the others ready.  SO, Thursday I tried getting him dressed first, then serving him breakfast and getting the kids ready while he ate.  He didn't like that idea.  It worked well for my schedule but I forgot some things because my routine was off.
4. What is your favorite scent? I can tell you I hate the smell of "vanilla".  Other than that I tend to like fruity scents but I don't know that I have a favorite.
5. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?  My professional background is in adult education and human performance improvement SO I've taught A LOT.  BUT, if I could choose anything to teach it would be something creative like oil painting, interior design, something like that.
6. What pair of shoes have you had the longest? Hold on - I'm going to go look...

Ok, I'm back.  I believe these win:

I've had these slippers since college, if not high school.  If those don't count as shoes, then these win:


I bought these New Balance walking shoes around 2003.  Now I use them mostly for gardening or muddy stuff so I can stick them in the washing machine and not worry about how they come out.

Truth be told I believe I also have the shoes from my wedding.  I also think I have a pair of "white" keds that I had friends sign in Junior High.  (Back when I was Mahri...).  I'm not sure where those are though.

7. If you could change your name, what would you change it to, if you even would?  See my random thoughts...  Actually though I probably wouldn't do it again - I didn't realize how it might hurt my parents feelings.  (They're over it now, but I think it offended them for a time).


8. What are three "NEVERS" in your life?   I will never drink (alcohol).  Never have, never will.  Never give up on finishing school...(courtesy of my husband).  Never give up on my faith.


9. What is one defining moment from childhood? I'm really bad at these types of questions.  Hmmm...when I didn't "pass" my first test to get into the gifted program in 1st grade.  They asked mie "If they found dinosaur's on the moon, how could they have gotten there".  I swear to this day I go tthat "wrong" and to this day I wish I knew what the "right" answer was.  Of course now I have graduate degree(s) in education and I know that was an IQ test and how they work, nevertheless I wish I knew what they were looking for.  I did "pass" the next year and entered the gifted program in 3rd grade.

10. Do you have manicured nails? If so, what color?  Yes, but only because I happened to have done them last night - I had a few minutes while watching a movie and I had just done my toes (red).  My fingernails are clear polish.
11. Name one new goal you can set this year to positively impact those around you.  Wake up earlier (5 or 5:30am) so that I don't transfer my stress in getting ready and out of the house "on-time" to everyone else I come in contact with during the day (especially my kids).

My 11 Questions for You
  1. What's your favorite post on my blog?
  2. What is your ideal bed time?  In comparison, what is your average bed time?
  3. What tests your patience the most?
  4. Do you prefer cubed or crushed ice from the refrigerator ice dispensor?
  5. What is your favorite summer snack?
  6. What is your dream vacation? 
  7. What makes you laugh?
  8. If you could live one day completely free of guilt, what would your day be like?
  9. What is your impression of Southern California?
  10. You can only keep two clothing items for the next year - what would they be?
  11. If you could wear a sign on your forehead to send a message quickly to everyone you see, what would the sign say? 
People I'm Tagging

Alright folks!  Have fun...

No comments: